LaNae's Reviews > Coming Home

Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, historical_fiction
Read in August, 2010 , read count: 3+

This is an old fashioned British coming of age epic set during the WWII era. It follows Judith Dunbar from when she is 14 in 1935 through just after the end of the war. At the beginning she is entering a boarding school in England, just as her mother and baby sister are leaving to rejoin her father in Singapore. I found Judith to be a likable and admirable character, which is a good thing considering the length of this epic. One of Pilcher's biggest strengths is her ability to make her characters come alive. In fact, the English countryside, and the area of Cornwall in particular can almost be considered a character. She has a way of describing a setting so well that you can picture it perfectly. For some this may be tedious, but I have found it charming.

I think that the Shell Seekers is probably one of my favorite Pilcher books, but this one is one of those books that I occasionally re-read. There is something comforting and familiar about it, kind of like curling up by the fire with a cup of cocoa. It explores issues of the (bygone?) British class system, the effects of wartime, loss, love, and choices.

**Just re-read this & had to give it another star. It's cast of characters covers the social strata of pre-war Britain, and Judith interacts with most, if not all of these. Her life and dreams are drastically affected by the war, but she makes the best of every tough situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Home.