Blake Bowers's Reviews > Strange Highways

Strange Highways by Dean Koontz

Nov 24, 09

Read in November, 2009

This book is a compilation of short stories published at different points during Dean Koontz's career.Here is a brief synopsis and review of each short story....

Strange Highways: This story starts out with the main character, Joey going back to the home town that he hasn't seen for 20 years to attend his father's funeral. This story flows very well and doesn't ever slow down, from the beginning to the end.
After attending his father's funeral Joey is haunted by some of the things he has done in his past, that being back in his home town help him to remember. To keep from having any spoilers in this review I will leave it at that, as this story is only 150 pages long. Any Dean Koontz fan will love this story. Be warned though, the last 20 pages are pretty intense!

The Black Pumpkin: A story about an adolescent boy who learns the difference between right and wrong

Miss Attila The Hun: A symbiote takes control of a town

Down in the Darkness: A story of redemption

I'M GOING TO PAUSE HERE TO EXPLAIN THE REASON FOR SOME OF THESE REVEIWS BEING SO SMALL IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT SOME OF THESE STORIES ARE TOO SMALL TO OUTLINE WITHOUT SPOILING THE WHOLE STORY FOR THE READER. :)

Ollie's Hands: A story of a panhandler that has exraordinary powers in his hands

Snatcher: A pursesnatcher is shown the error of his ways

Trapped: This one is about a mother and her son and their will to survive the peril that they are in

Bruno: A story about parallel universe

We Three: A highly advance set of triples show their abilities

Hardshell: A cop is forced to do what he doesn't want to do

Kittens: When a young learns about mortality, she doesn't like what she learns

The Night of the Storm: A futuristic story about robots setting off an adventure

Twilight of the Dawn: A man is chastised for his unbelief

Chase: A Vietnam war veteran returns home to find himself the hero of the day; disgusted by the title, he turns inward. But by rescuing a woman from certain death he inadvetantly throws himself back out into the lime light.
A face to face confrontation with the would be killer sets the pace for the book. Full of twists and turns you're sure to love this novella from Dean Koontz

CHASE IS THE LAST SHORT STORY IN THE BOOK, AND I WOULD SAY THE TWO BEST STORIES IN THE BOOK ARE THE TWO LONGEST ONES, THE FIRST AND LAST. STRANGE HIGHWAYS AND THE AFOREMENTIONED.
COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T REALLY LIKE SHORT STORIES, THIS BOOK WAS FULL OF GOOD ONES. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS BOOK FOR ANYONE WHO LIKES DK.
MY ONLY OTHER THING IS THAT I WOULD SAY THIS BOOK IS PROBABLY AIMED AT A YOUNG ADULT AUDIANCE RATHER THAN SOMEONE WHO HAS READ A LOT OF HIS LONGER BOOKS.
THANK YOU FOR READING MY REVIEW AND HAPPY READING!-BB

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Highways.

11/18/2009 page 1
0.17% "Just starting this book right now, and hope to finish before December"
11/19/2009 page 43
7.47% "Kind of starting to remember how this story goes, and if I remember right, I will like it"
11/20/2009 page 226
39.24% "Reading the short, Ollie's Hands now, all of the other stories have been farely good"
11/23/2009 page 306
53.13% "CURRENTLY READING THE SHORT STORY "TRAPPED",AND I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE, SO FAR EVERY STORY IN THIS BOOK AS MET MY EXPECTATIONS"
11/23/2009 page 371
64.41% "reading the short story kittens"
11/24/2009 page 430
74.65% "trying to finish this book so I can start on Breathless"
show 1 hidden update…