Marcy Reiz's Reviews > Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: favorite-books, books-i-own
Read in November, 2009

I read this book in my AP English class my senior year of HS and am doing some re-reading.

I love how this book in written from several characters p-o-v, I guess that's why I liked it so much in high school, and why I still enjoyed it (and why I loved The Color of Water by James McBride).

It's interesting to see how each family member perceives certain memories, how each one develops from the same moment into such different people. How someone can be so resentful, sort of reminds me of someone I know.

The Tull family is truly dysfunctional, as are most families, and this book makes you appreciate more of your own dysfunctionality, because it's nowhere near the Tulls' and if it is, you can appreciate this book even more.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a great piece of fiction, and who's looking to identify with several characters and see things from different perspectives.
(I don't want to give away any spoilers, in case someone should decide to read this book, so I've been very vague)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

11/22/2009 page 59