Kylie's Reviews > Santa Olivia

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey

Nov 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm not sure if this is a young adult selection or not, but it was written at about a third-grade level. I got the impression this is supposed to be a realistic character-driven fantasy, but I found it completely improbable; all the more improbable for its attempts to be realistic.

There's supposed to be a loving lesbian relationship here, and scintillating sex, but the heroine's body is - for some reason - never really described as a *woman's* body. The heroine is super strong, super fast and feels no fear. Much is made of the fact that she's a "genetic anomaly" who doesn't know who her father is, but there aren't even any internal character-developing reasons given for her relationship choices, emotional habits (lack of fear), or experience of being "physically odd" to/with others.

The book just comes off as a promotion piece for single mothers, genetic mutants, super-strong girls who don't need men or feel like women, and non-families of street-gang kids who "experiment" with each other. Yawn.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Olivia.