Lady's Reviews > The Victor: A Tale of Betrayal, Love, and Sacrifice

The Victor by Marlayne Giron

Jan 09, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, christian-fiction, fantasy, own-it
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Exceptional first novel, The Victor is taunt, intense and well paced. The characters are well drawn and even though the language is a bit dense at first (which I think serves to strengthen the medieval setting) I was quickly drawn into the story.

The thing I liked least about The Victor (in a good way) is how insidious Lucius is; how you can see him enacting evil and how oblivious characters let him. It's awful to watch someone's demise, not suddenly but piece by piece in choices they make and lies they listen to. It was horrible and so uncomfortable I had to put the book down a few times. It felt absolutely appalling. Bad things happen, darkness descends and not all evil can be undone, however much can be redeemed.

But there is also good. There is such relief in hope and restoration and sweet, playful love; in strength and courage and humor.

The brilliant thing about it is how real it is. As I was reading it, more than once, I was struck by the thought that, "This is a succinct, poignant picture of the reality we live in." And it's good to remember.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Victor.

12/31/2009 page 38

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marlayne Giron Hi Annie and thanks for the great review. You are one of the few to mention the evil that is depicted in The Victor. It was intentionally insidious and not sugar coated. There is the evil that the "devil" does and then there is the evil that he inspires us as humans to do as well. You review was absolutely poetic.