B's Reviews > SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, the-nerd-inside-of-me-loved-this, cultural-critiques
Read from March 22 to April 05, 2010

I debated about whether or not to give this book 4 stars and here is why I did what I did:

1. Since their first book, Levitt and Dubner have become a lot more cock-sure in themselves. In the first book it was obvious they were writing it for information's sake whereas in this one, though for the most part enjoyable, they got almost... well... preachy. Although they remained true to keeping personal opinions out of the content, I found myself almost annoyed once or twice.

2. Some parts of it did get a bit dull. They reiterate once or twice too many one some things while they simply glean over others (prostitutes v. monetary experiments on monkeys. Guess which one got more airtime).

3. It wasn't readable with external interference. This might be a dick reason to give a book less than its due but if the television got switched on or there was a conversation between two people on the train I got distracted from the text at hand which proves to me it wasn't engaging enough.

Even so, Levitt and Dubner bring up some fascinating points about doctors, global warming, and our primal instincts. I just wish they'd go back to their roots and become a little more humble.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SuperFreakonomics.