Erika's Reviews > Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster

F_50x66
Nov 18, 09

Read in November, 2009

A fun, fluffy read. As someone who generally loathes the myth of glamour perpetuated by Sex and the City, I was looking forward to this as a remedy to the all-single-women-wear-Manolos-and-have-dates-every-Saturday books. While this book was funny at times, I'm not sure it lived up to my expectations. It seems less about life in the big city and more just about Jen Lancaster's life. First of all, she's married, and a lot of her adventures seem to revolve around annoying her husband. Not exactly what this single gal wants to hear about. Secondly, as a Chicagoan, I was slightly horrified to find that Ms. Lancaster's portrays our city as somewhat lame and provincial. But that's mostly because she rarely leaves her house for social outings. She may be lame, but our city is not. She is also an ardent Republican, a point she makes several times, and 1. I am not, so her love letters to Fox News and Sean Hannity put me off a little and 2. Most of Chicago is not Republican either. (Ironically, she has a whole rant about people who hate G.W. Bush and talk about moving to Canada just need to get over the fact that he won the election. I wonder how she feels about her rant now that the shoe is on the other foot!)
Despite these disapointments, there are some laugh-out-loud moments in this book. Her trip to the gynecologist is particularly hilarious and any pet-owner will relate to her dog and cat stories. She is a good sport when it comes to self-deprecation and making fun of herself, and has peaked my interest enough that I'm apt to read another one of her books in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Lights, Big Ass.