Nicole's Reviews > Dead Beat

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Nov 18, 2009

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, mystery-contemp-american, werecreatures, read-more-than-once, five-star-novels, vampires-after-all
Read in June, 2013

** spoiler alert ** First read: March, 2010.
Re-read: May-June, 2013 & liked it even more the second time, upping the rating from 4 to 5 stars.

“Listen to me,” I snarled. “We are not going to die.”
Butters stared at me, pale, his eyes terrified. “We’re not?”
“No. And do you know why?”
He shook his head.
“Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I’m too stubborn to die. …And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”
He blinked.
“Polka will never die!” I shouted at him. “Say it!” (pg. 212)

Passages like that are just one reason why I’m addicted to the Harry Dresden books. Jim Butcher has a wonderful sense of humour; and so far he always leaves me wanting more.
I don’t want to include too many detailed spoilers in this review, because part of the fun of reading a Harry Dresden novel is wondering where things are going to go next.
This one is another winner. Inventive, fun, and at times harrowing. Lots of new developments and further complications. And there’s a lot of heart, too; especially now that Harry has more allies than he formerly did. The Lasciel twists have me a bit worried for Harry, although there seemed to be more hope at the end of the novel than previous events had me thinking might be possible earlier on. The zombie T-rex was insane, brilliant, and hilarious. I usually don’t even like dinosaurs and zombies, but I ate this up. (Pun intended.)
Butters has become a really likable and fun character; he’s a great friend for Harry. Having someone around who can sew Harry up is also useful. (Although it turns out there is a reason Harry can take such a beating and not just survive but bounce back. I still wish he didn’t get knocked around quite so much.) As usual, I enjoyed seeing Thomas; he continues to grow as a complex character. Mouse is turning into quite the wonder dog! I liked the new characters Luccio and Ramirez a lot. There were also some very interesting developments involving Warden Morgan.
One complaint: Murphy sleeping with Kincaid(!!!) is a dozen kinds of wrong!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Beat.

Quotes Nicole Liked

Jim Butcher
“Like I said, magic comes from life, and especially from emotions. They're a source of the same intangible energy that everyone can feel when an autumn moon rises and fills you with a sudden sense of bone-deep excitement, or when the first warm breeze of spring rushes past your face, full of the scents of life, and drowns you in a sudden flood of unreasoning joy. The passion of mighty music that brings tears to your eyes, and the raw, bubbling, infectious laughter of small children at play, the bellowing power of a stadium full of football fans shouting "Hey!" in time to that damned song—they're all charged with magic.

My magic comes from the same places. And maybe from darker places than that. Fear is an emotion, too. So is rage. So is lust. And madness. I'm not a particularly good person. I'm no Charles Manson or anything, but I'm not going to be up for canonization either. Though in the past, I think maybe I was a better person than I am today. In the past I hadn't seen so many people hurt and killed and terrorized by the same kind of power that damn well should have been making the world a nicer place, or at the least staying the hell away from it. I hadn't made so many mistakes back then, so many shortsighted decisions, some of which had cost people their lives. I had been sure of myself. I had been whole.”

Jim Butcher
“We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"

"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”

Jim Butcher
“Nearly everyone underestimates how powerful the touch of another person's hand can be. The need to be touched is something so primal, so fundamentally a part of our existence as human beings that its true impact upon us can be difficult to put into words. That power doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex, either. From the time we are infants, we learn to associate the touch of a human hand with safety, with comfort, with love.”

Jim Butcher
“Thomas looked like someone's painting of the forgotten Greek god of body cologne. He had long hair so dark that light itself could not escape it, and even fresh from the shower it was starting to curl. His eyes were the color of thunderclouds, and he never did a single moment of exercise to earn the gratuitous amount of ripple in his musculature. He was wearing jeans and no shirt--his standard household uniform. I once saw him answer the door to speak to a female missionary in the same outfit, and she'd assaulted him in a cloud of forgotten copies of The Watchtower. The tooth marks she left had been interesting.”

Jim Butcher
“Harry, life isn't simple. There is such a thing as black and white. Right and wrong. But when you're in the thick of things, sometimes it's hard for us to tell. You didn't do what you did for your own benefit. You did it so that you could protect others. That doesn't make it right - but it doesn't make you a monster, either. You still have free will. You still get to choose what you will do and what you will be and what you will become.”

03/25/2010 page 224
03/27/2010 page 282
54.55% 1 comment
03/29/2010 page 394
76.21% "OMG!"
05/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/10/2013 page 1
0.0% "Re-reading...I need something familiar that I know I'll like, sort of like Linus's blue blanket..."
05/28/2013 page 200
38.0% "Gosh! The stuff about the Wardens is affecting me more than it did the first time, I think!"
05/29/2013 page 302
58.0% "Whoops--had the page wrong yesterday."
06/10/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Imjstgr8 I love that passage in the book....