Jill's Reviews > The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives

The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis

Nov 18, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club
Read in November, 2009

This was definitely a girl power book, so it was a bit much for me. There were a few funny parts - nothing as charming as the YaYa Sisterhood Books, but then again this was a true story, with some definite embellishments thrown in. Even though the book was written by an accomplished journalist who was written for the WSJ, I felt some of the storytelling was forced and trite, like those trashy novel excerpts they put in women's magazines, with specific details about what one person was listening to or wearing while preparing for an event years before (like they would remember all of that!) and not all of the facts were believable. I did enjoy reading about Patti and the elegant way she entertained when it was her turn to host the group though! The story itself was interesting and did not erupt into fights about ownership or use like I expected - no one ran off with it or anything :) Most of the women were fairly well-to-do, so it seems like most joined the group for the sisterhood of it - a very pricey alternative to a bookclub or women's group in my opinion. What was nice is that they used the necklace as a vehicle to draw interest and raise money for charity. Overall a light book that I read in a couple of hours but would never buy myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necklace.