Karen's Reviews > The Information Officer: A Novel

F_50x66
Dec 17, 09

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in December, 2009

How to describe this book.... a serial killer, romance, espionage, WWII thriller with a decent amount of sex thrown in. For me, the most interesting thing about this book was the setting -- Malta during WWII. I've heard of Malta before and could identify it on the map, but beyond that, I really didn't know much about it. I had no idea who controlled Malta during WWII (the British), if it was strategically important (it was, a refueling spot for launching campaigns against Rommel in Africa and for air raids on Italy), or whether it is an independent nation (it is, gained independence from the UK in 1964). The descriptions of the island were well-done and I definitely got a good feel for wartime on this small island.

The author uses the first and last chapters for a flashforward in time to wrap up the plot, which really didn't work for me. The opening chapter didn't leave me wondering what was happening and wanting to understand more. And by using this ploy, the reader is not present for most of the resolution of the plot. We learn about it years later. Kind of strange. I felt a little ripped off.

I don't want to give away the plot... there is kind of a mystery thing going on about who is the serial killer... so it's hard to write anything meaningful about the plot. Let's just say, I don't think the author laid the seeds for whodunnit.

On a different note, on the cover the author is called an "international bestseller" for his last novel, which did well in the UK. I wonder, if this is a bestseller in Malta, can he claim the same thing?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Information Officer.