Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Complete Stories and Poems

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

Sep 04, 13

bookshelves: horror, classic-horror

I'm not sure how screwed up Mr. Poe really was as I have read that a lot of the criticisms of him were exaggerated. But screwed up or not the man could write. Fears and tears all are here for the reader.

I love Poe's writing. He's a voice that edges at times on madness (The Fall of the House of Usher) and sometimes IS the voice of madness (The Tell Tail Heart). Unlike the madness we find in H.P.Lovecraft Poe writes the actual man's madness. The madness of revenge for what may be a real or imagined slight (The Cask of Amontillado) or the madness of obsession (The Premature Burial). Then again the madness may be in the situation or the act that the protagonist has to deal with. Here Poe originates the detective story (The Murders in the Rue Morgue) and his detective C. Auguste Dupin reappears later (in The Mystery of Marie Rogêt). Poe originated plots and plot points that were used and reused across the years (The Purloined Letter).

I was introduced to Edgar Allen Poe when I was around 11 or 12 years old by a teacher at a small school in Tennessee (thank you Ms. Arnold) and have read him often ever since. If you haven't met Mr. Poe and his characters you have a great treat ahead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Stories and Poems.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samee145 (new)

Samee145 A perennial favorite of those who enjoy the macabre stories that come from the shared recesses of our dark minds.

Mike (the Paladin) ....quite possible....I suppose.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed I enjoy his writing ability,his timeless quality as much as his wonderful horror stories.

Its a shame that he is a huge classic figure of mainstream lit today while he wasn't really appreciated under his own lifetime.

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Swann I love Poe, too. I read a lot of his work in school and it always fascinated me.

Mike (the Paladin) I was fortunate enough to get into an advanced reading class (this would have been about 1963 or 64 so it was pretty unusual for a rural school in Tennessee). That means I was a 6th grader sent to read with the 8th graders, LOL. The teacher introduced us to Hamlet and Poe.

message 6: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Keck Ah, Edgar Allen Poe. When we traveled up the Oregon Coast, we have overnighted at a very special hotel--the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport, Oregon. Each room is decorated with the books and the imagined furnishings of a literary decorator. There is an Edgar Allen Poe room with a pendulum over the bed. Two rooms that we've stayed in are the Jane Austen room and the Agatha Christy room. Dining is an experience: round table with other guests. After dinner come the games! Back to Poe, he's an American treasure.