Amelia's Reviews > The Mark

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, reviewed
Read from April 08 to 11, 2010

The Low Down

"The Mark" begins with Cass following a man with a strange halo around him. It is something she's witnessed before. What she sees is her curse. Or is it a blessing in disguise? She has the power of witnessing something that marks when someone is about to die. This strange ability lands her in middle-of-nowhere town where she lives with her aunt. There, she starts a new life. Far away from her old friends and hopefully, her old fears. But even with a new boyfriend, new friends, and a new routine, the mark returns to haunt her. Questions now surround her mother's life and what she never knew about her. Even as she delves deeper into the past, the question remains: if she knew someone was to die, should she tell?

The Best Part

The writing is superb. The story flows well and there are a few plot twists. It's a good supernatural story with a horrific undertone. The topic isn't original but Jen Nadol puts a good spin on it.

The Romance Deal

Cass's relationship with Lucas is fine, even if he's not what you'd call a common type. Being unique is good, but I had a hard time reading about him due to the fact that he's not MY type. He's extremely opinionated and tries to force this onto other people. I don't see any real connection between Cass and Lucas that keeps them together. It's an interesting relationship, however.

The Down Side

This is not exactly my favorite book. It's not something that really lasted in my mind after I read it. Cass isn't my ideal heroine. She seemed so fragile and weak. She seemed so much like a child that it scraped on my nerves a time or two. Some call her likable immediately but I'm not one of them. I was just hoping that she could just make a decision and stick with it.

Grade: C+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark.