Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: dystopia, modern, political, sci-fi, young-adult, belton
Read from March 09 to 11, 2010

For a good portion of this book, I was confused as to why a practice like Unwinding would be a suitable compromise for either side of the abortion debate. A character who had fought on the side of the remains of the United States military reveals that the process was offered up in an attempt to shock the two sides into ending the war. Unwinding was never supposed to be seen as a viable option, but both sides latched on to it. Personally, I don't think the Pro-Choice side would take this option because the mother still has to carry the baby to term whether she wants it or not. The methods of allowing a mother the choice of keeping the baby are just as bad for the child as abortion. Storked children are not necessarily wanted by the families that get stuck with them either. The children in State Homes are vulnerable to budget cuts because they are more valuable to society unwound than whole. At first, Connor seems like the classic teen whose parents would get fed up enough to sign the unwind order, but he grows during the story because of his relationship with Risa. I really liked both characters by the end even though it was hard to imagine myself in their places. The worst part of the book is the revelation that Unwinds have to be kept conscious throughout the unwinding process. That means that they feel at least some of what is going on as they are harvested. The whole idea of unwinding is extremely disturbing to me, but that was definitely the last straw.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.