Mary-Beth's Reviews > The Pillow Friend

The Pillow Friend by Lisa Tuttle

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, magicrealism, fiction

** spoiler alert ** I liked this book and didn't like it all at once. I think the most compelling parts for me were the parts where Agnes' pillow friend was a creepy sentient doll or a creepy sentient horse.

I didn't really care for him as a human. He lost all subtlety as a human. How great was it when the doll started to prompt Agnes to become an extremely precocious juvenile delinquent, sneaking into people's houses and creeping into their beds like Goldilocks? But all of the scenes with the lovers just seemed so excessive to me. I found it weird she had so much difficulty interpreting the fake lovers as her pillow friend and I found the main revelation of the full horror of the pillow friend just gross and silly. It's a matter of taste, that's all.

It also bugged me when that short story got wedged right into the plot and then right afterwards there was that 'ha ha, tricked you!' moment.

The revelation about Agnes' Mom was a good one though. I didn't see it coming. I guess I just wish the horror was more psychological. Maybe people will rub their heads when they read this and wonder how it could be. The ending was pretty intense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillow Friend.