April Nichole's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

May 04, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from April 28 to May 04, 2010

Speak is told through Melinda’s point of view and it is done really well. To me it is almost like her diary explaining her day and as the story progresses she also talks about her feelings and she just happened to decide to label different sections.

Melinda acted how I would think most in her situation would act, quiet, withdrawn, hurt. Through the progression of the story Melinda slowly grows and learns that she is stronger than she thought, that what happened wasn’t her fault and that she can take a stand.

It wasn’t until like the last couple of chapters that it got all wrapped up. Melinda found her voice to say no and tell someone what happened. My problem though is that we don’t see the after effects of that. We had seen the initial effects on Melinda after the party but once she found her voice again I would have liked to have seen at least a little more.

I like the way that the author handled the subject matter. Melinda eventually said what happened but the author didn’t really go into detail. It dealt more of the after effects and how Melinda handled it and handled how people around her, even her friends and family, were now treating her. Overall it is a good book. I was rooting for Melinda. I kept reading wanting to know how she would eventually find her voice again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

05/03/2010 page 171