Morgan F's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Nov 20, 09

bookshelves: classics, fantasy, nfa-library, made-into-movies, 1970s, young-adult
Recommended for: everyone
Read in November, 2009

Going into this book, all I knew was that it was a classic that was about talking bunnies. Now, I've never been a big fan of rabbits, but I decided to give this a try anyway. I mean a five hundred page book about rabbits? I had to see what this was all about.
After the initial charm wore off, I was bored. I found all the rabbits to be interchangeable, and some of their folklore confusing. But, it got better as it went on, especially those final 200 hundred pages. I found some of their chapter-long fables distracting, as well as a sudden switch to the human world. There would be random comments about baseball or something to describe a situation, and it would draw me out of the story. I also didn't like the portrayal of does as just sex-objects, which would make me have less sympathy for the rabbits plight. I have to say, for the most part, I forgot they were bunnies. The writing was easily read, and it wasn't to hard to follow. If I was a tad smarter, I could figure out all the parallels between bunny warrens and human government, but I'm too lazy for that.
Even though it is usually marketed as a young adult book, I think anyone can enjoy it. Overall, it was a enjoyable fantasy and quite epic.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

11/18/2009 page 178
11/18/2009 page 178
37.55% "I'm liking it so far. Its just so charming. A little slow-moving at first, but its starting to pick up."
11/20/2009 page 369
77.85% "I'm starting to struggle a bit now.."
11/20/2009 page 269
56.75% "I'm starting to get distracted reading this.....I'm on my fourth day."