Cassy's Reviews > Dragonflight

Dec 14, 09

bookshelves: physical-own, award-hugo, fiction-scifi-fantasy-paranormal, 2009
Recommended for: Stephenie Meyer
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

This book was good. Adequate might be an even better adjective.

In fact, my husband asked if I wanted to go to the bookstore to buy the next book. (He is a very good husband who has continually witnessed me get sucked into fantasy series.) My answer was "huh, it never even crossed my mind to continue the series." One book was enough. I'm glad I read it for a bit of enjoyment and to sample McCaffrey's writing, but I am done.

I liked the use of dragons, but the author didn't offer anything new to the dragon canon. The world she created has some interesting characteristics, but it wasn't rich enough for me. I liked the two main characters, F'lar and Lessa, but I didn't connect to them as much as I'd prefer. I grew to like and understand their relationship, but their initial coupling was rather disturbing. The plot set a healthy pace, but it was perhaps too brisk and skipped over some potentially interesting scenes. The threat to the planet was scary, but only as scary as spores can get. The ending was clever, but it was also predictable.

Overall, it was a enjoyable and quick read. Yet, I would stop short of recommending it to others.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonflight.

Annscm Perrigo Please remember that Dragonflight was written in the late 1960's, well before most other "dragon" books. McCaffrey started the trend, and many others drew on her ideas of dragons as we now know and love them!