Whitney's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Nov 17, 09

I think that the author's note in the back is perfect to describe this book: he talks about the "pride" aspect of the world fair, and also the "unfathomable evil" in Dr. Holmes and how he thought it would be interesting to write about these two in the same setting. It definitely says some interesting things about human nature.

Also, nonfiction writing just can't get much better! there is suspense in to all parts of the book- not just the serial killer parts- but also the architecture and the relationships between people. Powerful descriptions and small details.

Speaking of details, this book reveals a lot of small things; i learned about the first Ferris wheel, postcards, electric lighting, Cracker Jacks, and more. All details were perfectly woven into the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (new) - added it

Kara I just picked up this book! I'm glad to see that you like it, I can't wait to get to it!