Ogreart Art's Reviews > Why School?

Why School? by Mike Rose

Mar 26, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, teaching
Read from March 08 to 16, 2010

I love Rose's writing style. It is deceptively simple and extremely honest. In a baker's dozen essays he lays out the framework for a new type of conversation about education in America. Instead of shouting slogans, we need to discuss what we consider education to be, what outcomes (besides higher test scores) we really want, how we really want our children to be taught and to learn.

Instead of the YOYO (your on your own) paradigm his philosophy falls more along WITT-y (we're all in this together) principles. He reminds us that for a long time in America education was used as a means to help insure equality. Is this a principle to be relegated to the past or is it a principle we still need to strive for? If education is not used as a means to help all Americans reach some level of equality, what is it to be used for?

I hope that people in high places (Duncan? Obama?) read this book and start asking these kinds of questions. Even more, I hope they start questioning whether or not the policies they are perpetuating and extending are the way we want to change education in this country.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why School?.