Kimberly's Reviews > The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good

The White Man's Burden by William Easterly

Oct 16, 2007

Recommended for: PCVs
Read in January, 2008

How the west has done more harm than good, from the perspective of an economist and former employee of the World Bank. Reading the examples of Angola, DRC, and Nicarauga were really eye-opening for me. Easterly's way of showing how our cold war mentality is really no different today when we approach nation-building in places like Iraq or Afghanistan was also very insightful. As a former PCV and "Searcher," this book sings to my heart! Don't expect any utopian "planner"-esque ideas for how to fix development. This part of the book is weak, but I suppose he feels it's not his place to say - and of course, he's an anti-plan person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Man's Burden.

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel Emmick Hey, I'm reading it now. Great book so far. You can tell Easterly has actually spent time in developing countries and actually cares about the people who live there...not always true for some other charity-all-stars.

Blair I read this book while in the PC too, and found myself thinking "yes! Exactly!" on every chapter. Makes you wish Sachs would climb down from his tower at Columbia and spend some time living in Africa for a change.