Shea's Reviews > Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope

Ana's Story by Jenna Bush

Oct 31, 2007

liked it
Read in October, 2007

Say what you will about President Bush and his administration, I prefer not to judge a potential author by her familial ties with a politician who I completely disagree with. A lot of people came in asking for this book the week it came out, so I decided to give it a try. First off, it’s aimed at the "young adult" audience, so it was a very short read. I suspect that much of the content was "sanitized" to ensure a sort of PG-13 rating for the core audience of readers. Despite these facts, I felt like it contained a compelling story that is reality for many children and teenagers throughout the developing world that just about anyone could be sympathetic to.

Ana’s Story is narrated in a third person voice from beginning to end. Whatever political leanings Jenna Bush may or may not have thanks to her father’s influence are nowhere to be found throughout the story. She focuses all of her attention on a young woman named Ana who she met while working for UNICEF. Ana was born HIV positive, and grew up in a culture that heavily stigmatized her condition. Despite carefully taking her medications every single day to keep her disease in check, Ana was taught by family members and society alike that she could never openly discuss her condition and that it was a burden she would have to bear alone.

Throughout her childhood, Ana endured many trials and outright abusive situations on top of her growing anxieties over having HIV. Eventually, Ana finds her way into a home for HIV-positive individuals and learns that there is nothing to be ashamed of. However, the story does not end there, and Bush ends her book by describing resources the reader can use to find more information about HIV/AIDS and how the reader can help if he or she wants to (including the obvious UNICEF plug).

All in all, Ana’s Story is certainly a very fast and easy read, but I don’t think that detracts too much from the story itself and more importantly, the fact that Ana’s story can be found all over the developing world. I’ve seen reviews where Bush takes a beating for no other reason than the fact that her father is President Bush. This kind of criticism ignores the actual book and exposes the reviewer’s obvious political bias.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ana's Story.