Kat's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart

2172094
Nov 17, 2009

bookshelves: borrowed, childrens
Read in November, 2009

The third book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series, is pretty much perfect. We solve all sorts of mysteries like Constance's past and Number Two's real name while trying to stop Mr. Curtain at the same time.

I love how these books are so smartly written. He doesn't write down to children at all. There's so much conflict and a lot of it isn't even Big Bad conflict, it's bureaucracy and government red tape. They're, for lack of a better word, grown-up problems, the kind that make you really frustrated.

I love books where things seem so hopeless, so ridiculously tangled that you think, 'how the heck are they going to manage to get out of this in the next 100 pages?' and then, because it's a children's book, they do and not only do they get out of it, they get out of it in a way that is clever and makes sense for the characters involved.

If you haven't picked up the series, I'd definitely recommend it. As I said above, it's really clever children's literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

Travis Are you sure it's "so perfect"? I've been waiting to try this book and it's way too garish–the boring dialogue makes it worse. But it's your choice?

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I think I used the phrase "pretty much perfect" if you're going to quote me, but that aside, I read it 6 years ago so I'm afraid I really can't comment now. Hope you find another book you enjoy!