John's Reviews > Fall of Angels

Fall of Angels by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

M 50x66
Nov 24, 2009

it was ok
Read in November, 2009

My relationship with Modesitt's "Recluce" series began several years ago with the first book, "The Magic of Recluce". It was a good read. Since then I have slogged my way through numerous sequels, prequels, spin-offs, or whatever else they might be called. None of them were read in order of publication or in order according to the stories' chronology, and I have no idea if this helped or hindered their readability. All of them seem to have a male engineer/mage/smith and a female warrior/mage/healer trying to build a civilization against all odds in a world that hates them for who they are. This book is no exception. It also follows the other stories' trend of recounting about five hundred pages of day-to-day life, followed by about one hundred pages of action ending the tale. You need to really enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations of growing potatoes and building roads if you want to get through this book.
That being said, Modesitt doesn't make it hard to read about such things. He writes excellent descriptions, and pays attention to detail in such a way that the world- though it is not the most exciting world- comes alive for the reader. You find yourself relating to the difficulties of finding enough wood to make charcoal for the forge, and really wishing that they could catch some better game- because ,damn it, you're just as tired of them eating rabbit every day as they are.
If you've read one of the "Recluce" books- or at least read one of the five that I had read- then you pretty much know what's going to happen in this book. But, like me, you may find yourself enjoying it anyway.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall of Angels.

11/17/2009 page 442