Beth Chandler's Reviews > Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation

Flow by Elissa Stein

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: teen-ya-nonfiction, science-and-medicine, nonfiction-culture, nonfiction-historical
Recommended to Beth by: book review
Read in June, 2010

Fun-to-read overview of the history and cultural aspects, as it says, though most of the culture described is U.S. I would have liked more detail on customs, advertising and attitudes from around the world. Also, I found the tone--especially some word choices--a bit too flippant sometimes. Generally though, this book was both informative and fun, as well as taking an appropriately feminist tone, especially taking the medical the feminine-products industries to task when justified.

The photos and ad reproductions are one of the best parts of the books: The old ads and pamphles (women in my generation and older will remember those "for young women" booklets) are various combinations of amusing, appealing, and revealing. And the "happy uterus" plushie is not to be missed!

Recommended for women from young teens on up who want to break past the whispers and the veiled references to the real deal about cyclical (so seldom regularly "monthly") bleeding. A good overview for curious males as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flow.