Rachael's Reviews > Let the Great World Spin

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Dec 14, 10

it was ok
Read in December, 2010

Perhaps my expectations of the book were unfair -- after all, it did receive quite a bit of hype -- but I thought it was utterly meh. The characters were cliched and flat, and I felt no attachment or interest in any of them. By far the most interesting storyline was that of the tightrope walker. The imagery describing his walk was masterful and the storyline was gripping. Unfortunately, that was the exception.

McCann's attempt to link the characters was weak and pointless. One of the characters "link" was that she happened to glace at the story in a days-old newspaper. That is about as much of a connection as I have to Bubble Boy. I don't understand what the author was attempting to convey or why it was necessary to make these rather dubious connections, but it just didn't work for me.

The book was an easy read, but a bit of a chore to keep picking it up. I am unclear as to why it got so many accolades, but I guess to each his own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Great World Spin.

11/27/2010 page 73