Rob's Reviews > God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America

M_50x66
Aug 03, 14

bookshelves: read-in-2009, own
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Before I read this book I was afraid that Patrick Henry College would succeed in changing American culture. I'm just about done with it now, and I no longer fear this because secular influence is so strong. Most of the kids in this book Fell before they even graduated and I have no doubt that the vast majority of them will Fall before they gain any real power. A few crazies will make it to the promised land, but a few secular crazies will also, so it all balances.

I have a friend who also went to a Christian college and the disdain he had for this place was palpable.

I was earnestly surprised at how misogynistic the culture at Patrick Henry was, but I don't think it was overtly intentional, it's just the way of things and very matter of fact. Look at it like this:

Patrick Henry's founder was a big proponent of homeschooling, which is typically (always?) done by the mother. The owner marketted his college to the home-schoolers, so the campus (about 250 people) is full of home-schooled children. Well, when they start "courting" each other (courting is like dating, only you have to get married more quickly) and have babies, uh...what do you think the women are going to be doing? Going off and having really successful careers? Doubtful.

There's also the idea of "stumbling" which I thought was an absolute HOOT because it sounds so very much like Sharia law. Women in evangelical colleges are not to "stumble" men by being loose, or showing too much skin. See, if the womenfolk start wearing spaghetti straps, that makes the menfolk think of sex, instead of god. And that's just no good! They don't go so far as to make them wear burkhas, but I don't think this changes the underlying point - women corrupt men. It started with the apple, and it continues today with their bodies.

It was really interesting to read about a different culture. It was also reassuring to see that this culture was, essentially, a rip-off of mainstream culture and that the information age saved a lot of these kids from a life filled with cognitive dissonence.

The longer you stare into the abyss, the longer the abyss stares into you. Thing is...the abyss ain't so bad - it's part of the human condition. Master it, or be ruled by it, the choice is yours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Harvard.

11/17/2009 page 230