'Ailina Willis's Reviews > Damaged: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child

Damaged by Cathy Glass

Nov 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: true-crime
Read in November, 2009 , read count: 1

Though not eloquent, Glass's writing is sensitive and solid. The sheer depth of the experience is the crown of this book. I couldn't put it down. I was desperate to read Glass's conclusion, for better or worse.

The chronology is tight and thorough, fulfilling the reader's need for detail. Glass exposes her experience honestly, which allows us to inhabit her home during her tumultuous time with "Jodie," the abused child in her care.

On the downside, Glass made it almost too clear her strong feelings of distaste for one of the individuals involved in the legal process. I understand her negativity, but I felt the portrayal of those feelings was at times a bit over the top, and it became distracting.

I come away from this book with intensified hatred for sexual predators, deeper respect for foster parents and the unfathomable challenges they face, and a raw ache for the suffering so many children endure at the hands of people who should be their protectors.

A recommended read for people who have a special concern for the welfare of children. Pre-requisite: strong stomach.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damaged.

11/16/2009 page 1
11/17/2009 page 125
36.87% "o...m...g."
11/17/2009 page 320
94.4% "Story that cuts deep."