Alycia's Reviews > Soulless

Dec 11, 09

bookshelves: steam-punk, pnr-uf, favorites
Recommended for: anyone
Read in December, 2009

Soulless is a must read of 2009! Its premise is such an interesting concept: Steampunk industry and science combined with fashion, Victorian England, and paranormal romance.

Alexia Tarabotti is labeled a spinster and a preternatural (she has no soul). She attends a ball where she is attacked by a hungry vampire. Because she is a preternatural, she has the ability to make supernaturals (vampires, werewolves) become normal again through physical contact. Alexia defends herself from said vampire. She finds herself immediately in the middle of a murder investigation by the BUR(Bureau of Unnatural Registry). Enter in one hot and mysterious Alpha pack leader and BUR employee Lord Maccon. Alexia seems to be finding herself in life threatening situations during an unenlightened period of time where rogue vampires and loner werewolves keep turning up missing in and around London. Lord Maccon, his Beta, Professor Lyall, Alexia and a host of other wonderful secondary characters, including the silly, but sweet and flamboyant Lord Akeldama (the oldest vampire in London) are able to solve this mystery. I had an aha moment half way through the book as to whom I suspected was the cause of the disappearances and ultimately the kidnappings of Lord Maccon, Alexia, Lord Akeldama, and others of the supernatural community. I absolutely loved the steampunk science (the dirigibles, the explanations of gadgetry) and the reworking of explanations through out history. The end of the story resulted in an appearance from Queen Victoria. And Lord Maccon and Alexia had their HEA. This story was a refreshing departure from other historical/paranormal fiction. I cannot wait to read the second book in this series, Changeless, which will be released March 30, 2010.
[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

message 1: by Mishelle (new) - added it

Mishelle LaBrash Okay, I went out and bought this monthes ago, but haven't yet read it. I see the 2nd is out, and have caught on to all the excitment... Guessing I need to read it after all eh? (Lol.. eh? How positivly Canadian of me)

Alycia HAHA, yes very Canadian :)
I loved this first book. I have not purchased the second one yet. It just came out. I definitely would tell you to try series. The third, and last book comes out in September.