Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Naruto, Vol. 01: The Tests of the Ninja

Naruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi Kishimoto

Nov 16, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, manga, war, ninja, first-in-series

I probably read this the first time around 2005. As a college aged female, I was not the intended audience for this, but I fell in love with the characters. There were so many different personalities and histories to get attached to: lonely but determined Naruto, broody Sasuke, mysterious Kakashi and kind Iruka. I didn't really like Sakura or any of the other girls in this one(view spoiler) I really liked that each character was given room to grow despite having awesome ninja powers.
The level of violence in this is about the same as most Saturday cartoons, perhaps with a bit more blood. Parents may be slightly more concerned because it is people against other people. I seem to remember some cursing, but no f-bombs and mostly curses rather than swears against people (I may be forgetting some instances of calling someone something that calls their parentage into question). Naruto has a technique that is extremely risque (I can't remember if it appears in this volume) but he turns into a naked girl covered strategically by clouds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naruto, Vol. 01.

12/20/2016 marked as: read