Carrie's Reviews > Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Dec 01, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2009

I found the first two thirds of the book to be engaging, after that I felt like I was reading the term paper of an intro to philosophy student.

Also, even if the first two thirds were engaging, I was often uncomfortable, and not uncomfortable in that "hey, I'm stretching my thoughts beyond their normal boundaries" kind of uncomfortable, just the regular kind of uncomfortable.

Take for example the legend of Sissy's earliest hitchhiking endeavors. Reading about a young girl being molested by strangers while hitchikining would probably make me uncomfortable to some extent any time, but, the subject matter could be explored in a worthwhile manner. Here it was put forth as part of the girl's tittilating sexual awakening.

Repeatedly reading this male fantasy of a woman's sexuality grossed me out.

The women in this book are uber-objectified and fetishized.

So, I was alternately grossed out and bored.

I imagine I'll have to read something else of Tom Robbins' though to see if it's his style that I don't like, or if it was just this particular book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy Whatever you do don't watch the movie! I didn't mind the odd sexual Robbin's fantasy but the philosophical rabbit hole made me want to repeatedly bang my head against the wall.

Try Jitterbug Perfume - one of my favorite all time books.

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Cartier Thanks for writing about this, Carrie. It's a crippling problem in this particular novel. I can't recall if I bought (used) or borrowed the book, but I gave it away. The gratituous sex scenes made me uncomfortable, too, because they do not come across as playful or empowering; rather, they're fantasties intended to titillate Robbins-the-writer and whichever readers he hopes to string along. It's unfortunate, because I've read most of his work and haven't encountered anything else as disappointing as this aspect of ECGTB.

If you do return to another Robbins novel, however, "Skinny Legs and All" is excellent, dense and complex, with a sustained whopper of an ending.

Carrie Thank you both for the tips :)

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I felt the same about Jitterbug Perfume so I haven't read another of his books.