Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > The Valley of Horses

The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel

Feb 19, 2010

bookshelves: historical, prehistoric, romance, belton, need-to-read-something-else-first
Read in December, 2001

I absolutely loved Ayla's interaction with the animals in the valley especially the horses. I'm one of those girls who dreamed of riding and training horses as a child. I grew out of the idea of making a living at it, but I still love to watch and ride horses. The process of domesticating the horse in this book was very similar to how I picture it occuring. It seemed very accurate at the time and still doesn't seem impossible.

I preferred this book to the first one partially because of the horses but also because of Jondolar. I was slightly disturbed by the rape in the first book, but Jondolar helps shape the relationship between Ayla and most men through the rest of the series. He's strong, but incredibly gentle with her. I really identified with them both. If I was going to re-read the series, I would be tempted to start with this one instead of the first one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley of Horses.