Jen Terpstra's Reviews > The Sleeping Beauty Proposal

The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer

Nov 28, 07

bookshelves: romance

I loved this book. You have no idea how much. While it wasn't exactly Hemingway, the subject matter made me pull back and think. Think REAL HARD.

For example....why DON'T we hold "Welcome to real life" showers for women just graduating college, or if they don't go to college and just enter the workforce, high school???? Why should a woman's worth be defined by whether she's getting MARRIED or not. Why should only women who are getting married get the REALLY GOOD STUFF that every woman wants when moving out on her own????

We've come SO far in women's movements, and though I'm no "femi-nazi", it still kind of bothers me that women who aren't getting married are regarded as not worthy of the same things that a woman who IS getting married is. BELIEVE me I would have appreciated a new set of china, new towels, and various kitchen appliances when I graduated college. Why must we wait until we're betrothed? It's ridiculous, me thinks. Tradition? Please. Let's get a GRIP people!

Personally, I'm going to throw a "welcome to life" shower for all the little girls in my life. My friend's daughters, my future nieces. They shouldn't be defined by whether they're getting married or not, and this book helped me realize that. I adored it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Beauty Proposal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Burgess Loved, Loved, Loved, this book. Let me know what you think. Made me think.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Terpstra I will, I'm looking for it this weekend!

message 3: by Penniphurr (new) - added it

Penniphurr Ha! Thanks, Jen!! I'm one of those chicks and I used to tease my friends that I was going to have a "spinster" shower when I turned 40! Then I was so busy having fun at my 40th year, I forgot! I think I might do it at 50! I planned on registering at places and picking out stuff too. Your review reminded me (& made me laugh!) I'll just have to find this book & read it.
Thanks for the recommendation!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Terpstra No problem! It really is a great book. I think you'll like it. :D

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Burgess How about a midlife shower to get all the stuff we never got as young women, lol.

message 6: by Penniphurr (new) - added it

Penniphurr I'm w/ you!! Bring on the fun-colored Kitchen Aid small appliances, the oceans of Tupperware,the 400 thread count bed-linens and last but not least the paid-for two weeks in Hawaii!! And best of all, we spinsters never make our bffs wear scary dresses in public ceremonies!

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Burgess I got married in 1988, and when I look back, my bffs must have been great friends to wear those seafoam green dresses. If they burned them, thats OK. My sister, thats another story, lol.