Kristin's Reviews > Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward

Nov 16, 2009

bookshelves: i-own
Read in December, 2009

I don't think this should really be categorized as romance.

But action/suspense/war/drama! But hardly enough coverage on the romance. There was about as much romance in this book as there was in Charlaine Harris' "Dead Until Dark" and that's not all that much. But the difference is when romance is discussed in this book, MAN, is it steamy as hell! Cormia and Phury really do have chemistry off the charts and maybe that was the point the Warden was trying to make. That their chemistry is so good that not much should be covered? I don't know. But this book is for my fellow action junkies and people who loves revolutionary stuff, which is why I gave this book five stars.

This book started out REALLY slow. If it wasn't enough of a chore to get through Cormia and Phury's POVs in Lover Unbound, I expected it to be so in this book and it kinda was in the beginning. Phury is one of those characters who can't help but love but he'll piss you off a lot because of the decisions he makes and I think that's the point. He someone who wants to do good and be everyone's hero but while he sets flowers on one side, he pollutes the flowers on the other. You can't sweep someone elses porch until you've gotten yours straightened out.

Turns out for five months, Cormia has been a sitting duck, unknowingly discovering things about herself. Meanwhile, Phury is smoking up a storm (literally) and turns out he has an inner demon than hinders him from making something out of himself. I can empathize with Phury here. We all have that inner voice of doubt in our minds that can stop us from taking potentially good risks or just doing well, but Phury's demon of doubt is so strong that it is ruining his life, royally, bit by bit, and this story is the tale of his complete breakdown, the straw that finally broke the camel's back and how he will rise up. And I just want to say that it's inspirational as hell, his story.

The rest, or must I say the most of the book, is all about the war between the lessers and vamps reaching a very critical point because as the brilliant Jack Nicholson in the Departed said, "There's a rat in my crew"---that's just a hint. It comes to a point where it gets unbelievably depressing. You see this traitor using all his prior inside information of the vampire community to slowly eradicate the civilization and you begin to feel really hopeless. I haven't screamed at a book this much since "The Darkest Pleasure" by Gena Showalter. You root so hard for this evil to be revealed at ANY time or for some clandestine group of warriors that no one knows about to come out of no where and join in with good guys. You won't care where they came from, just as long as they come! This book, it's like Spartans vs the Persians, a small number of strong warriors against a a large, still growing, number of evil (who fight better with corruption and dirtiness)

I also fell in love with Blay, the big sweetheart he is, and Qhuinn, the hilarious sexpot who comes from a very fudged up family. We only get Qhuinn's POVs but lemme tell you, his story and background made my chest ache something fierce and things that are yet to come for this guy. Q is a glymera offspring and because of his defect, he's completely alienated by his entire family and the group of vampires. That was what solidified my hatred for this class. I have never seen such stupid group of vampires, they all deserved to die in my bias and harsh opinion. In our world, they're the Bush folk, as I call 'em. Loaded, but ignorant as hell, and they see everything in black and white. Makes me wanna spit.

This is the first book I've read, when I didn't know how it was going to play out. Yeah, yeah, the whole romantic H-E-A ending but like I said, that wasn't really a major part of the story, even if it was intended to be. POV's changed a lot, more lesser POVs--but I'm not upset about this one because this lesser was very interesting--there was a very big twist and surprise as well although or at least that's what they call it. I wasn't all that surprised, and I don't think you would be either because it makes so much sense. You will get pissed off that no one is using their real deductive skills, or not looking farther into what they're actually seeing and therefore they're still blindly chasing something they had the tools to figure out all along. THAT is what teed me off about the book, but the rest of it was GREAT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Enshrined.

Quotes Kristin Liked

J.R. Ward
“After a moment, Wrath turned to John. "This is Lassiter, the fallen angel. One of the last times he was here on earth, there was a plague in central Europe-"
"Okay, that was so not my fault-"
"-which wiped out two-thirds of the human population."
"I'd like to remind you that you don't like humans."
"They smell bad when they're dead."
"All you mortal types do.”

J.R. Ward
“It had been so good to see his enemy again. Positively heartwarming.

Hallmark really needed to start up a line of revenge cards, the kind that let you reach out to those you were going to come after with a vengeance.

- Lash”

J.R. Ward
“You're a freak. But I really can't accept these-'
Were you raised in a barn? Don't be ruuuuuude, my boy. They're a gift.'
Blay shook his head. 'Take them, John. You're just going to lose this argument, and it will save us from the theatrics.'
Theatrics?' Qhuinn leaped up and assumed a Roman oratory pose. 'Whither thou knowest thy ass from thy elbow, young scribe?'
Blay blushed. 'Come on-'
Qhuinn threw himself at Blay, grasping onto the guy's shoulders and hanging his full weight off him. 'Hold me. Your insult has left me breathless. I'm agasp.'
Blay grunted and scrambled to keep Qhuinn up off the floor. 'That's agape.'
Agasp sounds better.'
Blay was trying not to smile, trying not to be delighted, but his eyes were sparkling like sapphires and his cheeks were getting red. With a silent laugh, John sat on one of the locker room benches, shook out his pair of white socks, and pulled them on under his new old jeans. 'You sure, Qhuinn? 'Cause I have a feeling they're going to fit and you might change your mind.
Qhuinn abruptly lifted himself off Blay and straightened his clothes with a sharp tug. 'And now you offend my honor.' Facing off at John, he flipped into a fencing stance.
Touché.'
Blay laughed. 'That's en garde, you damn fool.'
Qhuinn shot a look over his shoulder. 'ça va, Brutus?'
Et tu?'
That would be tutu, I believe, and you can keep the cross-dressing to yourself, ya perv.'
Qhuinn flashed a brilliant smile, all twelve kinds of proud for being such an ass. 'Now, put the fuckers on, John, and let's be done with this. Before we have to put Blay in an iron lung.'
Try sanitarium.'
No, thanks, I had a big lunch.”

12/08/2009 page 15
12/08/2009 page 30
5.62% "Ok. For today's forecast, not looking so exciting. Dim, gray, kind of like watching glue dry. Slow start but maybe it'll pick up? I hope so."

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Awesome review, Kristin. Full of insight!