Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > The Cost Of Dreams

The Cost Of Dreams by Gary Stelzer

1987170
Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: genre-mystery-thriller-true-crime, genre-historical-fiction, country-mexico-south-america, blog-reviews, element-strong-or-dark-female-chara, genre-general-fiction-literature, genre-current-events, read-in-2010
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: Carol Fass Publicity
Recommended for: strong female character lovers
Read from February 18 to March 20, 2010

Actually 3.5 stars

Basic Set Up Info:

The Cost of Dreams is a complex story where the main character, Flora Enriques, is originally from Barrancas del Cobre – the copper mountains just south of the Mexican border in the Chihuahuan state. Of Native American Indian descent, from what I believe is a tribe called the Tarahumara, this young woman escapes her humble and horrific circumstances within these mountains and canyons. Barely leaving with her life and with her siblings, and running from bands of illicit gunmen and overlords, she crosses over the border to the United States.

Fate has more in store for her, when she is shot and left for dead by a drug dealing thug and her brother in law. That is only the beginning of her incredible and harrowing story, which becomes even more complex as a parallel character, an American female biologist, saves her life as they embark on a journey of emotional and physical healing with some very dramatic events.

My Thoughts:

The Cost of Dreams is a layered and compelling story and one which I believe is the author’s first book. He calls himself an “amateur story teller” and brings to light some of the travails of what he terms calls “the struggle of the downtrodden.” He has created an amazing story line which is harrowing, gritty, and mostly a page turner. Gary Stelzer is also a physician and brings that knowledge into the story, making it interesting and complex. I enjoy medical images and terms within a novel and the author of course does a fabulous job.

My only grumbles are that at times I found myself a bit lost as new settings were introduced, or change back and forth, and there are complex events in the book. Additionally, I noted some extremely complex sentences – one sentence was an incredible five lines long. These elements slightly effected the page turning ability of the story. I would say that is is however a compelling and important read.

I really enjoyed this book because of its cultural significance. I have a particular fondness and sympathy for our Mexican and South American Neighbors. They have a complex and wonderful culture with sometimes difficult circumstances. If you enjoy these elements as well as convoluted story lines, and those which revolve around the border States of the US and Mexico, it is highly recommended. I do want to warn readers that there is some intense and graphic violence which may effect some. In the end I give this novel 3.5 stars. If not for the sticky bits my rating would have been higher. I am looking forward to the next novels in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost Of Dreams.

02/18/2010 page 120
41.81% "I am having a bit of a problem with the author's writing style... story line is very intriguing"
02/24/2010 page 200
69.69% "It seems to be getting easier to read and the plot line is interesting..."
03/24/2010 page 296
100% "Review coming soon!"