Kim's Reviews > Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World

Things That Make Us (Sic) by Martha Brockenbrough

Nov 18, 09

Read in November, 2009

Really, 4 1/2 stars. I am nervous to write a review for this book because I am sure I will make some sort of grammatical error, thus demonstrating that I didn't learn ANYTHING. I thought this book was fabulous -- everything a grammar-loving nerd could want. If you consider yourself somewhat proficient in grammar (ahem), you will enjoy smiling with smug satisfaction every time the author addresses a grammar faux pas that bothers you too. I actually applauded when she ranted about those signs people hang up outside their houses with their family name written as a possessive instead of a plural. There is a house next door to Sofie's piano teacher with a lamppost sign reading "The Reuker's" (name changed to protect the guilty), and it makes me cringe every time I see it. The letters to grammar-offending celebrities are also great -- grammar rehab for Justin Timberlake -- excellent!

This book also works as a reference guide, with lists of commonly misspelled words, words that are often mixed-up (insure/ensure, affect/effect), and there's even a handy to chart to help with the whole lie/lay thing. (I'll never get it right!!)

Throw in a lot of references to The Princess Bride, a list of the Latin roots of Harry Potter spells, and a super snarky sense of humor, and you've got yourself a winner.

I'll end with my favorite quote from the book, "You can't make the past perfect, but there's no need to make the present tense!"

Okay, maybe I should have gone with 5 stars...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things That Make Us (Sic).

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Why does Justin Timberlake need grammar rehab? I don't think there's anything grammatically wrong with his songs. He's a grammatical genius.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim "When you cheated, girl. My heart bleeded, girl."