Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life

Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy

Nov 16, 09

bookshelves: bio-autobio, religion
Read in November, 2009

Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy is a book about living a Christian life. It reminded me of Joe Gibbs book "Racing to Win."

Dungy uses his celebratory as a coach to spread his message and he does so in a way that was relatable to me as an individual. He stresses a few simple, yet sometimes difficult to accept principles. Three that resonated with me are:

First, is that God moves us where He needs us to be, even if we don't understand why at the time. Given the uncertainty in our economy today, I think this one is important for all of us. Dungy returns to this idea several times using examples from his life including as a college recruit, pro player, and coach.

Second, he emphasizes the difference between one's job and one's life work. He talks about making time for family and keeping Christ and God in our life on a daily basis. Again, I think it is very easy to get caught up in a cycle of work, work, and more work, especially at a time that people believe they must work or be available to work at all times to either get ahead or avoid losing their job.

A third point that is made throughout is that we are constantly being prepared for situations we will face in the future. Dungy does a good job of reaching back and giving examples of how situations in the past prepared him for ones later on.

If you aren't a football fan the examples may bore you, if you are, it doesn't matter if the Colts are your favorite team or not. I happen to have liked Dungy since he was a player for the Steelers and always respected him as a coach. Now I have a better understanding of the man and his faith and I know he sets a good example that many of us can follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet Strength.