Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Bayou Moon

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

Jan 20, 13

bookshelves: favorite-or-autobuy-author, favorites, not-for-the-faint-of-heart, ick-factor, hero-to-die-for, southern-gothic, southern-literature, southern-hero-or-heroine, southern-or-appalachian-horror, southern-setting, shapeshifter, outcast, warrior, werewolf, heroine-i-adore, heroine-i-admire, lethal-women, warrior-woman, swordplay, family, magic, yearly-reading-challenge-2013, dangerous-hero-challenge-2013, 2013-200s-club-challenge, witch-sorcereress-healer, rural-country-setting, rural-fantasy, feuding-families, possessive-and-or-jealous-hero, kids-in-the-mix
Recommended for: gritty urbanish fantasy readers, those who appreciate Southern local color
Read from January 16 to 20, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

William's story lived up to my expectations. He is a very cool character that more or less stole the show from the hero in On the Edge. Not that Declan wasn't a perfectly good hero. Well, he was a bit more 'golden boy' than I like my heroes. But he worked for Rose. As for personal taste, I go with William!

What can I say? I like 'em edgy. I appreciated how the Andrews shaped Williams character and showed all his textures and layers. One would think that a changeling would be a pretty basic guy, all id. Not William. He has a dichotomy, although he does aim for simplicity in his actions and thought processes. And wonderfully self-controlled, considering. He had to learn it the hard way, which is organic. I think he was very true to his nature. He had that primal, violent aspect, but also a loving, sensual (and not just in an erotic) nature. Although he had never been part of a family, you could see that he valued and treasured the concept of family. I especially liked how he reacted to Cherise. Just on a primal level, he fell for her and 'knew' she was meant for his. Even with that instant feeling, nothing was guaranteed in the story. There was a long journey for them, and that love story adds to but doesn't take away from this distinctly gritty fantasy read. Although I will put this on my urban fantasy shelf, I guess it really isn't UF. It's more like rural fantasy. Hey, would love more books in this sub-genre!

Speaking of rural fantasy, I loved the local color. With On the Edge, that was a major appeal of the story, the down-home Southern ambience of the story. This story goes even deeper. This is about swamp people. It felt very authentic and real. I think we can all identify with having an interesting family. How we have various relations that are just kind of odd, but we love and accept them because they are family. That's this book in a nutshell. Cerise's family was full of characters, each one distinctive. They gave her a headache and sometimes a heartbreak, but they were blood, and blood is thicker than water. So what if her family has some folks that aren't strictly human? Every family has quirks. I loved Cerise's loyalty to her family, and better yet, that William could respect that and realized that his Mate's family was his family now.

As far as adventure and action, this book has it in spades. As with other books by Andrews, it can be gritty and gory. The whole storyline about the scientific/magical adaptations was rather stomach-churning! If you're squeamish, you might not want to eat while reading some parts. William is seriously awesome as far as his warrior skills, and Cerise more than holds her own. In fact, she rocks the house. She's a tough, strong woman, the kind of woman you want to high five. Despite being tough, she has some vulnerabilities that give her a realistic portrayal. I could identify with her love of family but her feeling of being trapped by obligations. I liked her a lot. On top of her emotional and mental fortitude, Cerise is an incredible swordswoman, which definitely works for me, because I love swordplay. I also liked that her family is full of tough guys, of both sexes. Particularly, liked Kaldar and Aunt Marid, and little Lark. Let's not forget Gaston. But all in all, quite a brood, the Mars!

This was a long book, for sure, but there wasn't filler. I think moreso that there was a lot of story to be told, and no need to cut some of it out. We got William's fully-fleshed story and I loved it. Although I fully adored On the Edge, I love this in a different way. I think that's a great progression for a series, that each one feels different, although it captures what I love about Ilona Andrews' writing and stays true to their voice.

Now I'm wondering what these folks can get up to next in the Edge, Weird, and Broken, or all of the above! Glad there are more books in this series to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Moon.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Ilona Andrews
“The judge's massive eyebrows crept up. "Kaldar. Are you the one speaking for the plaintiff today?"
"Yes, Your Honor."
"Well, shit," Dobe said. "I guess you're familiar with the law. You hit it over the head, set its house on fire, and got its sister pregnant.”

Ilona Andrews
“Is there anything else you need to tell me?”
Every time I look at you, I have to put a leash on myself. “No.”

Ilona Andrews
“Some women waited for a night in shining armor. She, apparently, had ended up with a knight in black jeans and leather, who wanted to chase her down and have his evil way with her.”

“How is it different?"
He rolled his head back, sable hair falling down on his shoulders. "With Rose I knew what to say. I could take a step back and talk to her. I remembered all the crap from the magaznies. It was easy."
"And with me, it's hard?" Why? Because she was a swamp girl? And how did the magazines fit into it?
William looked away from her. "I don't like it when you're away. If I don't see you, I can't settle down. If I see you talking with another man, I want to claw his throat out. And none of the things you're supposed to say fit."
Oh, this had to be good. "What sort of things?"
He sighed. "The lines. Like, 'You're my everything,' or 'Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”

Ilona Andrews
“Slowly the reality of the situation sank in. He got his ass kicked, learned nothing, and got saved by a dumb dog and an old lady. If he lived long enough to report to Nancy back in Adrianglia, he would have to gloss over this part.”

Ilona Andrews
“You call that evening the odds? You demolished them."
Demolished. He liked that. "I left you one."
"I noticed."
"I promised to share," he told her. "Manners are very important in the Weird. Lying would be quite impolite.”

Ilona Andrews
“It depends. If I don't let you in, will you huff and puff and blow my house down?"
She had no idea. "I'm more of a kick the door open and cut everyone inside to ribbons kind of wolf.”

Ilona Andrews
“My youngest brother killed a lynx yesterday,” Rose said. “Apparently it
came into his territory and left some spray marks. He skinned it, smeared
himself in its blood, and put its pelt on his shoulders like a cape. And that’s
how he came dressed for breakfast.”
Cerise drank some beer. “My sister kills small animals and hangs their
corpses on a tree, because she thinks she is a monster and she’s convinced
we’ll eventually banish her from the house. They’re her rations. Just in
case.”
Rose blinked. “I see. I think we’re going to get along just fine, don’t
you?”
“I think so, yes.”

01/16/2013 page 36
8.0% "Already off to a great start. I love the way they write!" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beanbag Love Yay! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. Great review, Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Bean! A lot to like about this book!

Marcia This is my favorite book of the four in the Edge series. I absolutely loved everything about it, especially William. For me, he was the most vulnerable, yet brave and good-hearted, of all the heroes in the series. And he made me want to laugh as often as his confusion and longing made me want to cry. My best friend and I are still going around saying "Pretty. Pretty. Want. Want. Wantwantwant" over everything we see that we like. And I FAR preferred William to Declan. (I like my men a bit on the angsty side, I'm afraid.)

Cerise was wonderful and I love the whole Mar clan, for the most part, for all the reasons you mentioned. I am so sad that the Edge books have come to an end. I could read about these characters all day long, and I'm hoping that we don't have to do without all of them. Like maybe there will be a new set called "From the Weird," or something.

Mike (the Paladin) LadyD...I know it's probably not what you intended but thanks. I think I'll not read the first in this series after all. I saw it and despite not caring for Ms. Andrews earlier series as it was too much just a romance I thought I'd try this one (based on the synopsis). You just told me it's again primarily a love story and that tends to Not be what I'm looking for. I'm glad you've found a series you like though. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) @Marcia: Yeah, I loved the way the Andrews showed William's thought processes and how he expressed himself. He's definitely a favorite of mine. He'll be hard to top.

@Mike: I think there was a good balance of fantasy and grit with romance. But since you don't like romance at all, then I'm glad you know this one won't be for you.

Mike (the Paladin) Thanks.:)

Marcia LD,

I also think there was a good balance between action and romance, but everyone has their own ideas on that. For me, it was perfect.

I am always drawn to characters that have trouble understanding human beings, and in many ways, that was part of William's charm. I always loved Data and Seven of Nine in the Star Trek series, and books written from a child's perspective, or even an alien's, for that very reason. It lets us examine ourselves through the eyes of someone removed from our experiences. William did that perfectly to me, as he tried to understand what he was supposed to do to impress Cerise or express his feelings to her. And he was so funny in his stumbling, bumbling way, though all the while being incredibly sexy and lovable. He is definitely in my top ten male characters of all time in Urban Fantasy.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think of the last two books in the series.

message 9: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph I started reading this and put it down (view spoiler). You make me want to finish it.

message 10: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt My wife loves this series. I'm going to have to try it or she may be forced to use her Kindle Fire as a blunt instrument!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Marcia, we are on the same page. I think that the Andrews books are like the best of both worlds. If you like your fantasy descriptive and dark and gritty, but like pretty of warmth, emotion, and humor, it's all there. Love those kinds of characters as you put it. William has had a very rough life and is very accomplished in his arena, but he is naive in other ways. If I had to make a list of top UF characters, he'd be there for me as well.

MrsJ, I think you will be okay. I hope you enjoy it when you pick it up again.

Ctgt, you should read them and see what you think. I'm single, but that would be awesome if I had a spouse and we shared books!

Marcia Yep, we're on the same page, all right. Perhaps the one where William Wolf looked at Cerise for the first time and thought, "Pretty. Want. Want." Or words to that effect.
;)

William was raised so brutally and only really knows how to do one thing well, before he gets poleaxed between the eyes with LUV and has to learn how to communicate and how to act like a human, instead of a changeling. It's such a fun ride, and he's a character I'll never forget. I always think of him before he met Cerise, sitting on his porch with his collection of action figures, caught in a sad stage of arrested development of some sort, needing so much more in his life, and not having a clue.

Now that I've finished the whole series (still can't believe that!), I'm going to re-read it, just for the fun of visiting there again. I've read each book as it came out, so I've forgotten a lot of detail in the earlier ones. It will be fun. But I will say that I definitely enjoyed Bayou Moon the most, followed by Steel's Edge (the new one), On The Edge, and Fate's Edge. In that order. For me, Fate's Edge is the weakest book, though still good, but let's talk after you've read them all and see what YOU think, and why.

Overall, the Edge is such a fascinating place that I can't believe there won't be any more books, especially since there are some issues totally unsettled. However, as I mentioned before, I'm hoping those story lines will play out in a From The Weird continuation. Serious questions need to be answered! Some things are not resolved. Maybe if we gang up and write Ilona Andrews and demand MORE from them..........?????
:D

message 13: by Brylit (new)

Brylit I think that this is another of your most enthusiastic reviews. You have won me over to another GOOD read.
Perhaps I will be tempted to give this series a try.
:) Brylit