Carla's Reviews > The Reckoning

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 28, 10

Read from March 17 to 19, 2010

Okay, before I get into the review, I would like to just make you aware that there may be some small spoliers, since this is the third book in the Darkest Powers series, however, I will not be posting any spoilers about the plot line etc so do not fear!!  I had the biggest feeling of trepidation when I started reading this book, its always the same whenever I read the last in a series.  A whole load of questions whirl through my mind; will the characters end up where I want them to? will the questions brought up be answered? will I get the conclusion I am looking for as a reader? So to kick off my review, I would like to say this book quenched my thirst like a glass of water to a dude stuck in the desert.  It was everything I could have hoped for and more.

This book for me was not which route the plot would take, but how the characters would deal with the hand they had been dealt.  Namely, how they dealt with their powers and to what uses they put them to.  That was the higlight of the book, seeing how much Kelley had developed her characters into the people we see in this book, how the decisions they made in the past have shaped them into the people laid onto the pages for us.  Chloe our protagonist had the most amazing character development.  She went from an introverted shy girl who was afraid of her powers and trusted almost everyone just because they seemed wiser and smarter than her, to a girl who wasn't afraid to make the right decision even if it wasn't somthing that would be easy.  She progressed so much as a chartacter, and because of that, I don't see this as a paranormal story.  I see this particular series as a story of how a young girl can overcome something horrible, can battle her demons, see her faults as something that are a part of her and not something to be ashamed of.  A girl who comes out the other side a better person.

Kelley is an amazing author, and the world she has built here never failed to suck me in and keep me hooked.  Am I sad that the series has ended? Yes, more than I would like to admit.  I feel like these characters are my friends, like I know them, that I have invested my time and feelings in their story and but also got something in return.  Did every single loose end get tied up? No, but you know what? this didn't bother me, I liked that about this book.  In this case, some things are better left unsaid.  And plus, if not every single question that was raised was addressed, then maybe we will get another glimpse into these characters lives in the future.

My favourite character has never wavered since I read The Summoning, and I bet you can guess who I mean.  Yes, I am talking about Derek.  The rather tall, grumpy, moody, teenage boy that has a power that would make me love him regardless.  Yes, we was a wolf.  I loved him as a character, he was protective and caring, he never hesitated when it came to protecting his friends.  I particularly enjoyed seeing his vulnerable side when it came to protecting those he cared about and his unwavering faith and trust in them.

An anazing end to an amazing series.  If you haven't read these books, then your missing out.  If you plan on reading them, then I envy you, because you get to experience it for the very first time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reckoning.

03/17/2010 page 1
0.25% "I am too excited, far too excited"
03/18/2010 page 320
80.0% "Love, just pure love"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Woah woah woah! Is this book out?!? I didn't think it came out til April!!

Nerissa Ayala Lesko Love Derek(my fave too) plus a female in these books..... Such a great couple through all 3!!!