Carrie Hinkel-Gill's Reviews > The Harrowing

The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff

Nov 15, 2009

bookshelves: mlm-ya-cove, mlm-horror-house
Read in November, 2009

One of the things that I've noticed about many good books is that the first chapter gets overlooked in the revision process in favor of getting the rest nearly perfect.

That was the case here with this book. The beginning felt clunky. I honestly felt that the book should have started on page 7 with the following sentence: "In the two months she'd been at Baird, she made zero friends."

It wasn't until this point that I was actually drawn into the story. All the stuff before that felt, unnecessary, especially with the later references to the psyche class lectures and texts as well as the exchanges between the students. The Prologue, I could take or leave.

Like I said, once I hit the above line, I was hooked. I wanted to keep reading. Sokoloff did a terrific job of building complex characters. She also did a really good job at building suspense and maintaining a certain level of that suspense throughout the book.

Robin, Cain, Lisa, Patrick, Martin and Waverly are well constructed, with believable reactions and personalities. There is something about each one that most people can relate to, and make you care about them and what happens to them.

What does happen to them?

Well, the front cover tells you it's a ghost story. It is a ghost story, but not a typical haunting. This ghost story begins with the ever popular Ouija Board, but not just any board, one of the original boards from 1920, one with some history attached to it.

It starts out as some game for five students to kill some time over the long Thanksgiving weekend, but evolves into something more. What seems like an interesting topic for a psyche paper quickly develops into more than any of them can truly understand or handle.

Beliefs are called into question.

Do these college students have the strength to deal with what they've unleashed?

You'll have to read the book to find out because it is definitely worth the read and I kept imagining how cool of a movie this book would make!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harrowing.

11/15/2009 page 10