Aimee's Reviews > The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting

The Three-Martini Playdate by Christie Mellor

Oct 16, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended for: all parents
Read in October, 2007

I very much enjoyed this cheeky little book. Told in a tongue-and-cheek style, infused with some real advice, it's a humorous reminder that we all need to have a life outside our kids who will one day (sooner than we might hope or expect) have lives of their own. Remember when we used to entertain ourselves and the immense imaginations we cultivated as a result? I often fear I'm overly entertaining my only-child in hopes of providing him with plenty of enriching opportunities. The author reminds us that even "boredom" is necessary for a developing mind.

So here's to my dear friend, Helga, who can turn even a "playdate" into a lovely adult happy hour. My next "enriching" lesson for my dear toddler who always wants to help ("I help!") will be to teach him the fine art of a perfectly chilled glass ("hot vs cold"), how to swirl the vermouth just so ("fine motor skill development"), how to spear a toothpick with olives ("hand eye-coordination and counting skills--'I'll take 2 olives, please'"), and how to pour ice-cold vodka with out spilling a drop ("domestic skills"). Cheers!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Martini Playdate.