Gina's Reviews > The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Apr 18, 10

bookshelves: fiction, pre-2009, 2010, classic, own, reread, young-adult, 4-star
Read from April 17 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

I just reread this after coming across the Puffin Classics version which had a cover I could not resist. The last time I read it I was probably 12 so it was fun to rediscover this book.

The first part of the book was surprisingly gothic. Gothic-lite, I guess, for the younger crowd. There's a mysterious mansion with hundreds of shut-up rooms, strange cries in the night, a moody and reclusive hunchback pining his life away, and the wind is always "wuthering." It doesn't last, of course, since this is really a very sweet story, but it's fun.

One thing I do specifically remember from reading this book as a child is the constant reference to the moors. I've had kind of a romantic view of them ever since, though whenever I dream of putting on some boots and hiking around on them for hours my more practical side always whispers, "allergies."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Garden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine You write the best reviews, I always end up laughing. I like your practical side.

Gina I didn't even know you ever got on this site, seester. You never add any books.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine I don't get on, but I get your updates emailed to me- a default setting, I guess. I leave it because your reviews are amusing:)

I just spent the weekend on this:http://community.livejournal.com/1bru...
reviews of almost all the Sweet Valley books, with plenty of snark. Be careful, it gets addicting.

Gina Ooh, they even did some Unicorn Club. Also, how sad is it that I immediately remembered that 1bruce1 was Bruce Patman's license plate.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Pretty sad, because I had forgotten that. I love seeing the covers of these books, I may have to read some now.