Amy's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

Mar 20, 10

bookshelves: ya-ya-ya, dystopia-disturbia
Read from March 17 to 20, 2010 — I own a copy

I enjoyed the prequel, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, as a horror-movie-turned-book. Yes, it had flaws aplenty, but I was more than willing to overlook them because in my eyes the pros had outweighed the cons. It had all the thrills and chills such movies tend to display, and the world was bleak and terrifying. THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES is no different. If I were to compare, I’d say it’s even better. A few days ago I cracked open the book and within a few pages I was transported back to that harsh world so devoid of happiness and so full of despair. In this sense the book entranced; the world I entered into was so fully realized I felt despair seep into me as I read; Ryan succeeds in creating a future that is frightening in its desolation. But amongst the pain and sadness and loss lies an underlying spark of hope that, like the lighthouse in the story, is always there and is constant, although at times it may dim to near nothing. Did that make sense? I’m not quite sure but it’s how I felt about the story.

I really must say, the cover of THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES is gorgeous. It captures the bleakness of Gabry’s world in an eerie yet beautiful tone. Loved it! And the story itself…well, it’s depressing. There are quite a few twists that I half saw coming and half didn’t that made the story enjoyable, psychic that I am or not.

THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES tells the story of Gabry, the daughter of Mary (protagonist of the first book). It takes place an unspecified amount of time after The Forest of Hands and Teeth, yet alludes to several events that took place in the first book. This doesn’t detract from the story but will satisfy the readers’ need for “closure” from the first book because it did leave off on a cliffhanger of sorts.

And my favorite part of the story was very well done- the zombies! Or in this case, the “Mudo” aka the “Unconsecrated”. There were several bonechilling scenes involving these zombies and which I can very clearly imagine taking place in a horror movie. I loved this; in fact I was reading this late at night and became VERY paranoid…I kept imagining there would be zombies in the corner of my eyes and kept expecting to hear their moans. In essence the book is not a typical “zombie” story; I get the feeling it’s more about humans and their will to survive in a world gone bad; despite this more realistic theme however, I admit that the zombies were what I enjoyed the most. Ryan has a beautiful prose that lets the story flow; it lends eloquence and compassion to Gabry’s voice, makes scary scenes that much more heart pounding, and conveys the atmosphere perfectly.

One thing in particular that I disliked was that every few pages or so, there has to be a paragraph where Gabry goes off on a tirade of sorts where she laments the “what ifs” of her actions and what she wants to do but can’t for some reason or another, as follows: “I want to ____. I want to ____. I want to _____. But instead I don’t. I can’t. Because ______.”. Now this particular way of thinking is acceptable if voiced once or twice or even three times, but when it happens every few pages it gets tiring and I get irritated. But aside from this complaint I liked THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES and found it to be a page-turner (zombies!) that will satisfy fans of the first book and new readers alike. I am quite excited for the third book in the series, THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES! Recommended for fans of dystopian and paranormal lit. And zombie fans.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.

03/17/2010 page 54
03/17/2010 page 54
12.98% "Hm. Am definitely back in this bleak world. But excited. Yes."
03/18/2010 page 149
35.82% "Really getting into it now. But am craving some real ACTION -cough-forest-cough-cough-cough..."
03/19/2010 page 215
51.68% "OMG I am paranoid now...eEEeEek"

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Angela Sunshine Good summary, Amy!!