Leslie's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Jun 24, 12

Read from June 16 to 24, 2012

In Ender’s Game the world is at war with buggers— aliens that have attacked before from space. In order to beat the buggers, a branch of government called The International Fleet (I.F.) train soldiers to defeat them. The “soldiers” are none other than children. The I.F. select the ones they think will succeed in war. At age six a boy named Andrew Wiggins, aka Ender is selected to join and is taken away from his family and life on earth to begin training.

The world in Enders Game is cold and harsh towards children. Since birth their main purpose is to be tested and used to kill buggers. Ender is early on chosen as "the one everyone has been waiting for," and he is constantly manipulated, isolated and abused in order for the I.F. to reach their end goal. It was a disturbing book because of that point. Children being taken away from their families and pitted against each other in order to win a war. Ender more than others, and you can’t help but feel sorry for him, because even after he accomplishes the I.F.’s goals he’s still unable to live his own life.

I found Card’s writing to be pretty good at describing Ender’s emotions and the plot was easy to follow. When it came to imagining what certain things looked like, like the room where they all practiced war games, I found it a bit lacking. The battle sequences went on for pages and pages as well. I understand it was necessary in this book, but I found the constant play by play of each training session a little boring.

The thing I found most difficult about reading the books was the fact that it was supposed to be a six-year-old narrating (at the beginning) and it was just so difficult for me to believe any six-year-old could speak this well, or be this intelligent. Most of the kids in this book were under 15 years of age and they just seem way to adult to be believable.

Overall the subject was interesting, but I thought the story lagged in some areas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

06/16/2012 page 62
06/23/2012 page 201
62.0% "Kind of losing interest.."
06/23/2012 page 261