Shawna's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Jan 04, 2015

bookshelves: author-jeaniene-frost, series-night-huntress-prince-world, pnr-vampires, urban-fantasy, psychic-special-abilities-powers, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, i-read-kindle, kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hh-famous-celebrity, pnr-paranormal-romance, favorite-romance-series, 2012-reads, 5-stars, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, action-packed, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-snarkasm-humor, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, pov-first-person, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-or-heroine-exotic, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-uber-alpha-domineering, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-warrior, hh-widow-or-widower, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, made-me-cry, star-crossed-lovers, steam-3-hot, villain-uber-bad-nasty, violence-reader-discretion-advised, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, yowza-hotness, favorites, hh-same-couple-trilogy-or-series, hero-cocky-conceited-arrogant-ego, hero-dark
Recommended for: Night Huntress, PNR, & UF fans
Read from June 26 to 28, 2012

5 stars – Vampire/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Romance

Thoughts Before Reading:

I am practically panting and salivating for Vlad’s book!

Thoughts After Reading:

I am practically panting and salivating for Vlad’s next book!

Like I said in my status update...Bones might be the reigning king of chapter 32, but Vlad is the Night Prince of chapter 23! Yowza! Inferno hotness!

But in all seriousness...Bones is one of my all-time favorite Romancelandia husbands, and even though Vlad made a powerful showing, Bones still rules my loins supreme.

Although I wouldn’t be opposed to a Bones/Shawna/Vlad ménage...just sayin’ I’m totally game for that, Ms. Frost, should you ever need a new character to shake and kink things up a bit in the Night Huntress World!

Vlad is enigmatic, blazing hot, darkly possessive, and compellingly cruel, and I enjoyed his relationship with spunky Leila. Other than my disappointment with the ending, I loved being Once Burned and can’t wait to be Twice Tempted.

My favorite quotes:

“Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I’d give in to him, and the second...that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.”

“If I didn’t want you so much,” he said in a deadly purr, “I’d let you keep fucking me with your gaze, but you make me impatient.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second...that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I hadn't expected to be kidnapped today or I'd have worn something more conservative.”

Jeaniene Frost
“You think my blood is the only tie between us?"[...] "This is our true tie. You're meant for me, and I will have you.”

Jeaniene Frost
“That one tickled. If electrocution is your way of flirting, I commend you on your originality.”

Jeaniene Frost
“People frequently bore me, sometimes amuse me, most often irritate me, but rarely intrigue me.”

Jeaniene Frost
“My body is the only thing that’s truly mine, so I don’t give it away as though it’s worthless.”

Jeaniene Frost
“How unconvincing. Try again.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I can give you honesty, monogamy, and more passion than you can stand, but not love. That emotion died in me long ago, as I suspect you already know.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with how fast I'd jump on him.”

Jeaniene Frost
“Good. If you checked your e-mail every five minutes, or keep texting and Tweeting in the middle of our conversation, I might snap your neck out of sheer principle.”

Jeaniene Frost
“No, I do my torturing in the dungeon like any other respectable castle owner,”

Jeaniene Frost
“Don’t. I’m all sweaty and bloody,” I protested.
“Heavens, not sweat and blood,” he replied mockingly. I managed to smile. Smartass vampire.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I told you once before,” I said, the words husky from remembrance. “Everyone holds their sins close to their skin.”
Fangs gleamed for an instant before Vlad bit into his wrist, pooling up two deep crimson holes.
“Then come,” he said, holding it out. “And taste mine.”

Jeaniene Frost
“Why would I seek to break your heart?”
“Because you can be a merciless bastard at times,” I answered honestly.
A smile flitted across his lips. “True, but I want you with me.”

Jeaniene Frost
“We are all more than the sum of our sins,”

Jeaniene Frost
“I’d forgotten to keep blasting a song in my mind. I remedied my mistake, but the lyrics to “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” seemed too close to home at the mo-ment.

“Culture Club?” Now his mouth curled downward. “And you accuse me of practicing cruel and unusual punishment.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I’m the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I stretched out my hands as if to ward him off. “Not yet. I want to know what your end game is first.”
Another flash of teeth, this time showing his fangs.
“To have you screaming my name within the hour.”

Jeaniene Frost
“It must be important or he wouldn't dare disturb me now,” he muttered.
Then he drew away to look at me. “If it's not, I'll kill him and return to you directly.”

Jeaniene Frost
I took a deep breath, fighting a twinge that made no sense because he was right. I had guessed that about him.
“Good,” I replied in a steady voice. “I was worried that you’d turn into one of those obsessed, emo movie vampires, and that would be embarrassing for both of us.”
His laughter rang out before changing into something rougher and infinitely more sensual. Emerald overtook his gaze once again.
“Enough talk,” he muttered, and lowered his head.”

Jeaniene Frost
“How can you stand touching her?” my sister blurted, staring at our clasped hands. “Doesn’t that hurt?”
I seized on the change of topic. “These gloves are specialized rubber. They block the current.”
Gretchen’s gaze traveled over Vlad, disbelief still stamped on her features. “Yeah, but how do you two do anything else, unless he has a special, currentrepelling
glove for his—”
“Gretchen!” my father cut her off.
My cheeks felt hot. Don’t say a word, I thought to Vlad, seeing his chest tremble with suppressed laughter.
“He has a natural immunity,” I gritted out.”

Jeaniene Frost
“Yes, but you are still only human.”

I laughed, the sound of it drowned out by the crunch of rocks as the mountain continued to shudder as though in the throes of birth pangs.

“So was Van Helsing, yet in every movie, he beat the vampire in the end. Never underestimate the power of humanity.”

Jeaniene Frost
“This is our true tie," he whispered, his breath falling hotly onto my lips. "You're meant for me, and I will have you.”

06/27 page 200
57.0% "Bones might be the reigning king of chapter 32, but Vlad is the Night Prince of chapter 23! Yowza! Inferno hotness!" 9 comments
06/28 page 352
100.0% 1 comment
01/31 marked as: read

Mollie *scoutrmom* oooooh oooooooooooh oooooooooooh!

Marissa cant wait!!! i love Vlad!! and what an awesome cover - way better than the previous 2 night huntress spin offs.... since this is being called "night prince #1" does this mean Vlad is getting his own spinoff series??? that would be awesome!!!!

Shawna Yep...He's getting his own spin-off series and I CAN'T WAIT!

Marissa yay!!! so excited!!! cant get here soon enough!!!

Karla I'm keep a hose handy to dowse the flames when Vlad sets me on fire!!

Taschima Cullen Chapter 23 girl, that's all I'm saying... SOOO HOT!

Shawna LOL! I just left this update:

Mydearloverboy Oh!!!yay!!!I just got the book;)gonna start soon...

Taschima Cullen Shawna wrote: "LOL! I just left this update:

Shawna Ta§chima wrote: "How much do you want to bet Jeaniene did that on purpose? Vlad- 23 Bones- 32, flip of the numbers... GOSH this series is awesome!"

That's exactly what I was thinking! LOL!

message 13: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Looking forward to your review S!

Charlaine Harris and Janet Evanovich recommended this one on the Today Show this morning. :)

Shawna It was great, Tammy, but Bones is still my fave!

Karla Excellent review Shawna! I'm trying to make my way to Vlad, but other things keep getting in the way!

Yvonne Shoot Fire! Shawna you sold me on this book. I don't even remember who Vlad is but I've got to read this! :)

message 17: by Shawna (last edited Jun 28, 2012 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Karla! I hope you enjoy it! The ending left me going whaaaa...that's it?!...nooo!! But it's still great!

LOL, Yvonne! How could you possibly forget hot firestarter vamp Vlad Tepesh?!?! The good news is it doesn't matter if you're fuzzy on stuff from the Night Huntress series 'cause this holds its own!

~ Becs ~ I agree - I wanted more at the end. At least something from Vlad and we have to wait until next year!!

I am also practically panting and salivating for Vlad’s next book!

message 19: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Shawna! Did you read the Night Huntress before beginning this one? I have the NH, NHW and this one but wasn't sure if I needed to read the others first.

message 20: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Sorry Shawna, just read your reply to Yvonne that answered my question.

Lady Heather Great review Shawna!
Vlad is next on my TBR list... I'm trying to hold off as long as possible because I KNOW it's going to be SO GOOD, and I hating waiting for the 'next' book to come out.

Shawna Becs, It's gonna be a long wait until Mar'2013!

Thanks, KatLynne! I think it's definitely better if you've read the NH books, but it could work well as a standalone for a newbie.

Having said that, I highly recommend Halfway to the Grave, One Foot in the Grave and the other NH books 'cause they're fabulous. Bones is without a doubt one of the sexiest, yummiest bad boy heroes...ever, and I know you'll love him! :)

Thanks, Lady H! LOL, I hear ya! I'm cursing the calendar right now agonizing over the 9 month wait!

♥Linsey Pop♥ - mybooksnthings.com Couldn't agree more... I also loved chapter 23! Again Frost didn't disappoint! ;0)... But yeah, I wasn't expecting it to end when it did!! (little disappointed with that).. Book 2 just can't come out quick enough for me!

Shawna Yeah...I think JF could've given us a little more to the ending to hold us over for 9 months. But it definitely succeeded in building the anticipation even more!

Spacklefritz can I read this without having to read the last two nh books? I'm really excited to get to vlad's book

message 26: by Shawna (last edited Jul 11, 2012 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna It's definitely a spin-off and better if you've read the NH books. BUT, I think it works fine if you're rusty on the NH series and/or as a standalone read.

Spacklefritz :D yaaay lol. Thanks ;)

message 28: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Yep this were two of my favorite quotes too!!! She has such away if making her books so sexy humorous and just plain ol yumminess!!!

Shawna She definitely does!

Vinifera excuse me I just wanted to ask there is rape in this book ? because I have difficulties to read stories with that in it thank you :3

Shawna No...(view spoiler)

Vinifera Thanks a lot ! I had a bad experience with another book in the same register :3