Kim's Reviews > Atonement

520753
Jun 23, 08

bookshelves: contemporary, meh-at-you
Read in June, 2008

Will someone please slap me next time you see me buying into the hype? Please?

This book was everywhere. I had a 3 month waiting list at the library, there were book of the months, and that movie with the pretty people...

blech.

Okay,

Act One: Pretty much a poor version of a Noel Coward directed episode of Three's Company

Act Two: No lead in, just jump into the War.. blah blah blah, war is bad, war hurts, some hazy backsteps into what happened prior to the War... blah blah blah

Act Three
The stupid little sister tries to redeem herself.. Yay for her. No big reunion of the two main love interests.. I thought that this was Chick Lit? Whatev..

Act Four
She's OLD. This is where I realized I'm an ageist.

But, really... I didn't find myself caring about any of these characters. I thought them to be whiny, overpriveledged, hoity toity, annoying, brats

Just one tiny smack, that's all I need...
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atonement.

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jun 23, 2008 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle It's not supposed to be chick lit. It's Ian McEwan (you know - The Cement Garden guy).

The beauty of this book is that Briony, in her twisted way, thinks that she has redeemed herself (by writing the story), but she never really gets it. She is a sociopath.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim But, I didn't care.. shouldn't I have cared?

Yeah, The Cement Garden. That's some fucked up shit right there.

And of course, Hollywood made it completely a chick flick.

message 3: by Staci (new) - added it

Staci now I'm not sure if I should read it or not!! confused and thinking....I'll wait!

Michelle Yes, I suppose you should have cared. I mean, I hated Briony, but I cared about Cecilia & Robbie.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Plus, they get Kiera goddamn Knightly to play a woman who is described as 'horsey'

I was sickened..

Michelle Had you seen the movie before you read the book?

Sarah Null I hated the book when I first read it. I only gave it two stars. Then, over about six months, I realized I was STILL thinking about it (especially the rug-out-from-underneath-you ending) and it eventually grew two stars.

I HATED!!!!!!! the fact that the movie was advertised as a chick flick! It's not. But I think it kept a lot of guys who would have enjoyed it from going.

I hate Keira Knightly. She needs a sandwich.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim (especially the rug-out-from-underneath-you ending)

Huh?

Staci, it might just be me... I tend to be umm... disagreeable.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim No, Shel.. I haven't seen the movie.. but if I see ONE MORE AD for the movie...

Sarah Null YOU KNOW the part I mean about the ending. I don't want to say it here because of spoilers. But it had to do with Briony's visit to Robbie & Cecelia...

Michelle I loved the book. I loved the movie except for a few picky things - but I also don't want to post any spoilers here.

Staci, Kim never likes any books I like. Have you ever read Possession by A.S. Byatt? If you read it and liked it, trust me about Atonement. That's another one Kim didn't like that I loved.

Michelle Sarah, did you change the number of stars you gave it, or is it still 2? I probably gave it 5. I am way too star happy with most of the books that I read.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Still not seeing what was so surprising about the ending.. except that I felt ripped off.

So Shel, what are you going to suggest next?

And Staci will trust my judgment... she likes Sonya Sones. :)

Michelle Kim, I think I will refrain from suggesting books. Well, except for The Road.

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I think if we're going for war love stories.. TBH kicks Atonement's ass...

Sarah Null Michelle, I had originally given it 2 stars. A couple of months later I added a star. It's now at 4.

message 17: by Staci (new) - added it

Staci Kim, I'm gonna have to go with you!! Don't want to think that hard over this book. Maybe I'll come back to it sometime in the future but for right now I've got to many other GREAT books waiting for me!! :)

And of course Sonya Sones is BRILLIANT!