Cynthia's Reviews > Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann

Apr 18, 10

bookshelves: books-read-in-2010
Read in April, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddenbrooks.

12/12/2009 page 300
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

·Karen· Ooooh this is my favourite of Thomas Mann's. I love his gently ironic style!

Cynthia We'll be reading it on our yahoo list starting in December. If you'd like to join us here's the link:

·Karen· Trollope list? Is the connection any closer than the fact that they were both alive at the same time for about seven or eight years?

Cynthia Once a year or so we throw in a non-Trollope book.

·Karen· Well that gives you a fair amount of choice I imagine.

Maria Too gently ironic, although I like reading him.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia oh, i didn't know there was a trollope group, gonna check it out! Buddenbrooks is fun, well maybe not fun but ... kinda great. Hope you like it.

Cynthia It would be great if you joined us Cynthia.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia just joined! rummaging around in the closet looking for my copy of the macdermots now. thanks for the tip!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Was there anything in particular that made you take up Buddenbrook at this time Cynthia?

Cynthia Yes I'm reading it with our Trollope side list. We started reading it on the main list but other trolopeans said we were bothering them with our nattering and expunged us :(. We started another list and decided to extend our discussion. You're welcome to join us if you'd like.

Maria Aw, sorry the Trolopeans expunged you (haha, trollopeans), you didn't need them anyway! I have tender feelings for this one; how are you liking it?

Cynthia I like it but I'm having a hard time staying focussed.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Cynthia wrote: "Yes I'm reading it with our Trollope side list. We started reading it on the main list but other trolopeans said we were bothering them with our nattering and expunged us :(. We started another l..."
Anyway I have joined the Buddenbrooks group and thank you for the invitation!

Cynthia Lisa wrote: "Hmm, how can nattering about other books be annoying, as long as you tag them OT in the subject line? ..."

I couldn't agree more especially since we all agreed to read it. Oh well, some folks are purists.

So cool to have you there on the list.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Cynthia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hmm, how can nattering about other books be annoying, as long as you tag them OT in the subject line? ..."

I couldn't agree more especially since we all agreed to read it. Oh well,..."

Purist groups rarely survive, from what I've seen.

Cynthia This one is about 15 years old!!! And there's a great level of conversaion and comraderie.....just a few sticklers. Whatcha gonna do?

Maria Oh, Cynthia! Whatcha gonna do (when he talks that way...spit in his eye? I'm just a girl who cain't say no...") Are you a fan of the great musicals like Oklahoma? I'll be singing this all night now.

Cynthia Do you know how many pit orchestras I've played in???? I wouldn't say I'm exactly a fan but I don't think I can rid my head of such music.

message 20: by Maria (last edited Jan 24, 2010 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria Ah. Now I'm out of control.

I expect everyone of my crowd to make fun of my proud protestations of faith and romance, tatata ta tatata ta tatata ta tatata ta ta ta! ta ta! We have segued into South Pacific, as we speak.

Do you still play?

Cynthia Everyone here's an interesting link from Sunday's NYT book review that touches on book discussion groups such as Goodreads. Interesting stuff.

Maria I remember liking this article.