Teresa's Reviews > The Famished Road

The Famished Road by Ben Okri

Nov 15, 2009

Read in January, 2006

i am no expert but i think the reigning opinion amongst literary snobs is that magic realism is an embarrassing gimmick. braving the possible negative backlash, i have already put one hundred years of solitude on my favorites shelf. today, i'm going to take another leap of faith and confess that i also loved this one. i read this quite a while ago (in 2006 maybe) but tonight i don't want to sleep so i'm killing the time on goodreads randomly adding things.

i am a real sucker for stories written from a child's point of view. the naivete, good intentions, and need for protection of the young yanks at my heart strings every time. i'm no match for it. so knowing this bias about myself, i may be clouded as to the real merit of this book. i'm gonna go ahead and say this book rocked. who doesn't love to relive the fear of being four years old in a strange house in the middle of the night imagining strange insecty, flying, spirity creatures in your room? or the curiosity of watching maternal figures do their voodoo whether it be cooking or making you well again?

with this review i'm going to inaugurate a new shelf: books i'd like to reread sometime.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Famished Road.