Abigail Hillinger's Reviews > The Wonder Spot

The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank

Apr 18, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: Anybody who just can't get it right with relationships.

Melissa Bank is not Chick-Lit.

And why is that?

Because her heroines never fixate on their weight, their clothing, their hairstyle, their men.

Bank has this way of skimming over all of those, and while the men are still existing (especially in Wonder Spot), her heroine Sophie is analyzing more why she needs them than the fact that she DOES need them.

Sophie can't commit. She doesn't order for herself in restaurants or at bars. She has no ambition or ideals for what she wants to do. Every relationship seems to be "the one" but a few pages into it, both she and the reader know that he won't be "the one" because she's so lost, because she has absolutely no idea who she is and what she wants. Everybody looks like "the one" to her--it's hard to know what she wants from a lover when she can't make a decision on a beer without a significant other's input.

Sophie has a teenager mentality. She hasn't evolved.

Which is, oddly, why many adult women love her. Because we pretend like we know what we want in relationships, but half the time, we're just looking for somebody to tell us what we want. And this is why she'll never be Chick Lit. She looks at the big picture, asks the pertinent questions, points out things about the female gender that we don't want to admit. She doesn't succumb to her character calling herself fat when she's a size six, or the random hot guy that will validate her when he admits (because he always admits) that he likes her. In essence, she's not predictable. And thank God for it.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonder Spot.

Salma I actually have to disagree about the 'no fixation on men' bit. That's ALL I got from the narrator here- this morose, passive obsession with relationships that just don't work.