ayrdaomei's Reviews > The Boy Detective Fails

Nov 23, 09

bookshelves: finished
Recommended to ayrdaomei by: Arlington Public Library
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

In my childhood, I was a great fan of the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Encyclopedia Brown books. As such, the premise of this book grabbed my attention right away - a young man who solved mysteries with his sister as a child spends 10 years in a mental hospital after she commits suicide while he's away at college. Upon his release, he returns to his hometown and tries to establish a new life for himself, but he is haunted by his sister's unexplained actions.

The Boy Detective is a strange read - Billy (the boy detective) is painfully shy, depressed, anxious, and isolated from any sense of normality, which often makes for rather odd narration. It's at times sad, at times funny, but always more than a little weird. The story is told in snatches of conversation and bizarre vignettes, which makes it difficult to follow at times. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know, but I do give the author some credit for trying to tell a different kind of story in a different kind of way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Detective Fails.