Booklover1335's Reviews > All Jacked Up

All Jacked Up by Lorelei James

Nov 14, 09

Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

All Jacked Up continues my love affair with the Lorelei James’s McKay family. What can I say I am a cowboy romance hero convert thanks to her Rough Rider series. This review is going to be rather short, but sweet because I LOVED absolutely everything about this story.

I loved Jack. I love his drive for success despite his ill conceived intentions. He is like so many Americans who live to work and the concept of “more” is never enough. Yet despite this flaw, and even though he’s a little bit Dom, he’s a whole lot sweet underneath all of his tough GQ exterior. Love him!

And Keely…she’s who I would like to be when I grow up. Even if I am already waaaay older than she is supposed to be. She is who she is and does not make apologies for her life or how she chooses to lead it. And lead it she has. We have had glimpses of her character in most of the Rough Rider books. She’s fun, and caring, and no one does more for her family than she does. She’s the exact opposite to Jack. She works to live and her work is her passion.

I loved that the sparks flew, despite the obvious attraction because both had fallen into a pattern of baiting bad behavior from each other. And unlike a lot of contemporary romances where the heat level is high, the evolution of their relationship is not based solely on sex. The reader isn’t left wondering how they went from barely tolerating each others presence....to realizing they love each other just because of a few tussles between the sheets so to speak. You get to experience how they transform from enemies, to partners in crime, to lovers, and finally to being “in love” with each other. It’s one of the things I loved most about this story.

For me, this was a perfect romance read. It had everything that I love about a romance no matter the genre. There is not one thing that I wish were different….except for this: I hated for it to end. I was left basking in the glow of a reader high…a romance euphoria if you will. I hated to start another book. I knew I was going to loose that joy of just having completed reading a fantastic story. It would be inevitable that the next book couldn't possibly live up to my experiences while reading All Jacked Up. So what was my solution to this dilemma you might ask? I read a different book by Lorelei James that I had not read yet :) Sadly, I’ve now read her backlist and will have to patiently wait until next year for her new book, Corralled: A Blacktop Cowboys Novel, which I happen to already have on pre-order at Amazon because I am just that impatient to get my booklover hands on it! To summarize...All Jacked Up is one of my favorite reads of the year.

Ratings: 5.0 stars (if I could give it more I would!)

p.s. if you haven’t read any of the previous Rough Riders series, I highly recommend them, but unlike some of the others I DO think you can read this one as a stand alone and not feel lost amidst all of the secondary characters that comprise the McKay and West families.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Jacked Up.